Homewood (3.56)



Open: 10:00am-4:00pm

Appt required? No

Last barlinwine.com visit: 2012 (May 17, 2012 Itinerary)

Directions:


View Sonoma in a larger map or Get Directions

Tasting:
On my very first trip to Napa (not counting a stopover on a family drive through California in the early ‘90s), I decided it would be a brilliant idea to do a bike tour through Napa Valley. While that idea turned out to be so-so, one of our stops was an instant favorite: Homewood Winery. The people were friendly, the tastings were free, and the wines were accessible and reasonably priced. Dave Homewood was the first winemaker I met and had a conversation with. I went back a few times in the early 2000s and enjoyed knowing about a place that wasn’t widely distributed or known.

After a good 6 or 7 year hiatus and hundreds of wine samples later, I decided I’d give the old friend another try. I stopped in on a Thursday morning and immediately was concerned. They had erected a separate tasting area akin to an open-air island beach bar outside and posted a big sign branding it the “REDDER da BETTER LOUNGE” with a smaller supporting sign reading “LIMO PARKING”. Ugh…my old secret winery was now catering to limos? Well, at least they built them a separate area. And they still had good wine at affordable prices, right?

Half of that statement was true. Prices were still incredibly affordable, but after this tasting I would realize why. I started my tasting inside in the tiny original tasting room with a forgettable 2010 Pinot Gris, followed by a more forgettable 2009 Pinot Noir. I next tried the 2009 “Flying Wizzbangers” Red Wine (on special for $100/CASE) which I really wanted to like given the extreme affordability, but it was almost undrinkable. I then had side-by-side the 2007 and 2009 Hoskins Vineyard Zinfandel. I slightly preferred the 2007, but neither was very good. I finished with the 2008 Cabernet, a tannic 2009 Petite Sirah that was immediately dumped after the first sip, and the one redeeming wine of the visit, the 2008 Zinfandel Port. I ended up purchasing a bottle of the Port out of pity, and left just as a limousine bus was pulling in.

The folks at Homewood have always been friendly, and this still held true, but unfortunately their wine no longer made visiting worthwhile. I don’t know if it’s that my palate is more refined or their quality has deteriorated (or possibly both), but this was a disheartening trip that left me feeling gut-punched the way I did when I heard Ryan Braun was accused (falsely!) of using steroids. I’d held Homewood up as the poster child for a small winery with friendly people, good prices, and good wine since my wine “infancy”, and an empty hole was created in me when I recognized that either I had outgrown their wine or something had happened to negatively impact the quality of their wine. In either case, that will probably be my last trip to Homewood. Farewell, old friend!


Recommended wine: The Port was the only drinkable wine, but sadly I wouldn't recommend it.

Ratings (out of 5):


WINE
2.00
TASTING ROOM
3.75

ATMOSPHERE
4.50
VALUE
4.25

OVERALL
3.56

No comments:

Post a Comment