St. Supéry (4.06)



Open: 10:00am-5:00pm

Appt required? No

Last barlinwine.com visit: 2012 (May 17, 2012 Itinerary)

Directions:

View Napa in a larger map or Get Directions

Tasting:
I pulled in to the St. Supéry parking lot to find several signs stating “Pardon Our Dust” and directing visitors over to the large wraparound porch of a house on the property. Having never been there before, I didn’t know what their typical tasting experience was, but this was a great replacement.

I was seated at a table on the cool shaded porch and presented a menu of 6 wines, from which I could choose four. I chose to skip the two whites they offered (shocking, I know) and taste through four red wines: the 2007 Estate Cabernet, 2009 Rutherford Estate Vineyard Merlot, 2007 Estate Elu, and 2007 Rutherford Estate Vineyard Cabernet.

The 2007 Estate Cabernet was decent, and a pretty good value at $30, but nothing overly special. My hostess Laurie presented the next wine, the 2009 Merlot, as possessing a lot of depth. I thought it was good, but contrary to the description I thought it actually lacked depth and was fairly straightforward and thin. The next wine, the 2007 Elu, is St. Supéry’s Bordeaux blend, sporting a breakdown of 66% Cabernet, 22% Merlot, with the remaining 12% spread among the other three Bordeaux grapes. Laurie described the Elu as a “velvet hammer”, to which I still have to roll my eyes every time I think about hearing it. It was not overly velvety or hammery, and certainly not worth the $65 price tag. My final wine, the 2007 Rutherford Estate Cabernet, was good, tannic, and possessed a long finish. Not amazing, and not worth the $85 price tag.

Preparing to wrap things up and make it to my next appointment at Swanson, Laurie came back with a surprise: “I have the 2007 Dollarhide Cabernet open if you’d like to try it.” Well of course I would, and if it made me a few minutes late to Swanson, so be it. It turned out to be pretty good, but unfortunately not $85 good, and I ended the tasting bottleless and late for my next appointment.

Overall, the porch atmosphere was great and the wine was pretty good. But at $85/bottle for the big Cabs, I found myself asking "Is this as good as Larkmead Solari?" to which the answer was an easy "Not even close." Perhaps that's not a fair comparison, given the Solari is among my favorite wines and well undervalued by today's market standards, but a dollar is a dollar.

Given no need for reservations, St. Supéry isn’t a terrible spot to drop in, but there are others nearby (Sequoia Grove, for example) that I think I would suggest hitting first. I've heard good things about their standard tasting room and experience, so I'll at least make a point to stop back in once the renovations are completed.


Recommended wine: The Cabernets were okay but overpriced compared to the competition in Napa.

Ratings (out of 5):


WINE
3.75
TASTING ROOM
4.75

ATMOSPHERE
4.25
VALUE
3.50

OVERALL
4.06

No comments:

Post a Comment