Goosecross (4.25)



Open: 10:00am-4:30pm

Appt required? No

Last barlinwine.com visit: 2012

Directions:

View Napa in a larger map or Get Directions

Tasting:
With no appointment required, we found ourselves at Goosecross when our tasting schedule opened up one afternoon last August. While Stephanie finished a call in the car, I headed in to get things started.

I was enthusiastically greeted, even though the tasting room was pretty crowded, and was promptly handed a Goosecross logo glass. There was one option on the tasting menu which offered 5 wines for $15. Sounds delicious – I’ll have that. I got started with the 2011 Pinot Gris. Decent, not overly memorable, and I moved quickly on to another white wine, the 2010 Viognier, which was a bonus wine from the back of the menu. I slightly preferred this wine, but if Im spending $36 on a “drink now” white wine, it’s probably going to be on Merry Edwards Sauvignon Blanc.

The next listed wine was the 2009 Estate Chardonnay, but I elected to skip it after two so-so whites and move right into the reds. My first red was the 2010 Tempranillo, a wine I noted would be excellent with food. I balanced that against wine #4, the 2009 Syrah, a wine I thought was okay but not as enjoyable as the Tempranillo. For my 5th wine, we again moved off-list to try the 2009 Cabernet Franc. I’ve really started to enjoy this varietal in the last few years, and while this one was pretty good, it wasn’t my favorite Cab Franc. We closed the tasting with the 2008 Napa Cabernet Sauvignon, sourced from the Yountville Estate surrounding the tasting room. Again, a good but not great wine.

With nothing coming home, we settled up for the tasting fee. Overall, wines were reasonably priced here, with most falling in the $30-$50 range (only the Cabernet was over $50 at $56). The hostess was friendly and the room was bustling without feeling overcrowded. I appreciated the extra pours of off-menu wines, but ultimately just didn’t love the wine that much.


Recommended wine: Nice atmosphere, but the wines were just so-so here.

Ratings (out of 5):


WINE
3.75
TASTING ROOM
4.00

ATMOSPHERE
4.75
VALUE
4.50

OVERALL
4.25

No comments:

Post a Comment