Stryker Sonoma (4.00)


Open: 10:30am-5:00pm

Appt required? No

Last barlinwine.com visit: 2011

Directions:


View Sonoma in a larger map or Get Directions

Tasting:
The Stryker Sonoma tasting room is a modern structure perched on a hill off of Highway 128 in Alexander Valley. We stopped by for a quick taste on our way over the river (or perhaps the Dry Creek?) and through the Alexander Valley woods to Napa.

The overall tasting experience was pleasant but generally unremarkable for me. Maybe it was the day, maybe it was that we were coming off the debacle at Sbragia, but nothing made it an overall memorable experience. Steph and I did our customary split of a tasting and tried 5 wines. Stryker makes a lot of wines, many from the Bordeaux family (right up my alley, right?), but unfortunately nothing knocked my socks off. We tried a Cab Franc and a straight Petite Verdot, followed by two Cabs and their Bordeaux blend the E1K. Everything was decent, but nothing made me claw for my wallet or give Steph the puppy dog eyes that say "Please, can we get some? Please?" or employ the less direct method, where I make a subtle suggestion -- "Why don't you go check out the merchandise shelf in the other room for a few minutes?" -- while I surreptitiously fill out a shipping form.

The tasting room is quite nice and unique, and so architecturally this is a pretty interesting stop. The people there were friendly without being overbearing or overly memorable. But we left without buying a wine, paid the $10 tasting fee, and moved on to bigger and brighter things.



Recommended wine: Nothing stood out for me.

Ratings (out of 5):


WINE
4.00
TASTING ROOM
4.50

ATMOSPHERE
3.75
VALUE
3.75

OVERALL
4.00

No comments:

Post a Comment