Whitehall Lane (4.06)



Open: 10am-6pm

Appt required? No

Last barlinwine.com visit: 2012 (May 16, 2012 Itinerary)

Directions:

View Napa in a larger map or Get Directions

Tasting:
I’d had Whitehall Lane Cabernet before, but I’d never been to the winery to taste. I decided to check it off my list when I was in Napa in May.

The Whitehall Lane tasting room is open until 6pm, and so it can occasionally attract the tipsy end-of-the-day crowd. Finding myself approaching that condition, I figured I'd fit right in. Wrong! These folks weren't just tipsy...they were DRUNK. Take a gander at the picture below – you had all types in the room. A girl dressed up and on her way to a wedding rehearsal dinner, a couple who’s making out in the tasting room (nothing says wine country like sweet camo pants!), and some other people just off-camera who came on a bus and were wasted.


Well, when in Rome, as they say! Time to get caught up. I bellied up to a fairly crowded tasting table in their production room, and was greeted by a wise-cracking Boston native. The tasting was for 5 wines, starting with a Sauvignon Blanc. As was my custom, I suggested I’d skip the Sauvignon Blanc and head straight to the reds. Into my glass went…Sauvignon Blanc. “It’s the first pour for everyone!” my Boston friend cackled. Ah well…no sense wasting it! It turned out to be pretty good.

Wine #2 was a Pinot Noir, which was okay. Wine #3 significantly improved things with a very good Merlot, which was one of my favorite wines of the stop. We then moved into what I came for: Cabernet. I started with their regular 2009 Cabernet, a solid wine, but one that I actually preferred the Merlot to. The last wine of the tasting was the 2008 Reserve Cab, and this was the best of the bunch.

The wines were decent and atmosphere a bit raucous, I think partially driven by the guy pouring. I snagged a bottle of the Reserve Cab and beat a hasty retreat. If I hustled, I could squeeze in one more stop before dinner!

Recommended wine: The '08 Reserve Cab was what left with me, but I also liked the Merlot.

Ratings (out of 5):


WINE
4.00
TASTING ROOM
4.25

ATMOSPHERE
4.25
VALUE
3.75

OVERALL
4.06

No comments:

Post a Comment